This article is about ways to treat a burn. A burn is a condition that is extremely painful. Even a minor burn can cause you a great discomfort and pain. The pain is followed by inflammation and the entire condition can really be painful. There are three types of burns – first degree burn, second degree burn and third degree burn. First degree burn or the minor burns are the ones that can be treated at home. While the other need medicated treatment.
There is great fear of spread of infection in this condition and thus you should not treat burns other than the minor ones. A little mistake can spread infection and can make the condition worse. Minor burns are very common burns but they also hurt a lot. But, you can treat these burns at home, without having the need to run to the doctor. In this article, we are going to discuss different ways that will help you treat burn at home. Read the article and learn the best ways to treat a burn.
Types of Burn:
Knowing the types of burn is very important because you should treat only minor burns at home. Third degree burns are worse and you should think of treating second degree burns at home. Here are the three types of burns:
- First Degree Burns – They are the most common types of burns. They are least harmless and are also as minor bumps. It affects epidermis, the outer layer of skin. This category of burns includes burns at home and sunburns.
- Second Degree Burn – In this category, epidermis and dermis, both the layers are affected. It is also followed by blisters. They can also be treated at home but if the area affected is large then you should surely take the medicated treatment. Infection is the great concern about this kind of burn. Thus, treatment requires a lot of care.
- Third Degree Burn – This is the most serious type of burn and the patient should be taken immediately to the hospital. Highly destructive in nature, this kind of burn affects the deepest layer of the skin. They damage fat, blood vessels and nerves and in worst case, it damages muscles and burn as well.
Methods to Treat a Burn:
From the above given description, it is clear that first and second degree of burn can be treated at home. But, the third kind of burn needs immediate doctor concern. Common burns are the first degree one that people usually suffer while cooking and doing some other household jobs. Second degree burns are the second common burns that people suffer with. You need to be careful while treating second degree burns at home as any ignorance can increases the chances of infection. But, first degree burns can be very easily treated at home. There are different remedies for burn treatment that you can go for when needed immediate relief.
1.) Cold Compress to Treat a Burn
This is one of the easiest ways of treating first degree burns. You can apply cold compress to minor burns and you will be able to treat it fast. You can simply place an ice bag on the affected area. But, in case you do not have an ice bag, you can try the other way as well. What you can to do is:
- As soon as you get the burn, take one cotton cloth and put two ice cubes in the cloth.
- Wrap it well and place in on the affected area.
- It will provide your instant relief from pain and inflammation.
- It will calm the area and will provide you relief from burning sensations.
2.) Toothpaste to Treat a Burn
Toothpaste is another effective way to get rid of burn. This is the simplest but among the most effective ways that can be used to treat burns. No matter there is some remedy in home or not, a toothpaste is always there in every household. When you get the burn, simply run to your bathroom and apply toothpaste on the affected area. Make sure that you go for the white toothpaste. Avoid the gel one. If your toothpaste contains mint then what can be better than that.
- Apply the mint toothpaste on the affected area and leave for fifteen minutes.
- Wash it off with cold water.
3.) Cold Water to Treat a Burn
After cold compress, you can go for cold water to get rid of burn. Cold compress is for first degree of burns but if the burn is of second degree then you should avoid ice and go for cold water. This is among the most common remedies for burn treatment that is quite popular. What you have to do is run cold water on the affected are as soon as you notice it. It helps you provide instant relief from the burning sensation. So, in case you get the second degree burn and there is nothing around you then you can simply run cold water on it and you will get a lot of relief.
4.) Aloe Vera Gel to Treat a Burn
Aloe Vera gel is also one of the most amazing remedies for burn treatment. It has cooling effects and thus does a lot in treating burns fast and naturally. It helps provide you instant relief from the pain. If you have an Aloe Vera gel in your backyard then you can definitely try this remedy. You have to go for the fresh Aloe Vera gel. Follow the given steps to use it:
- Cut a small piece a leaf from the Aloe Vera plant and extract gel from it.
- Apply the gel on the affected area.
- When you want to re-apply it, wash the area nicely with cold water.
5.) Black Tea to Treat a Burn
You can also go for black tea to cure burns. It is high in tannic acid that is highly effective at treating burns. Black tea draws heat from the area and provides cooling affects. It is also provides relief from pain as well. You can simply apply it on the affected area. Follow the given steps for the purpose:
- In cup of boiling water add thee tea bags.
- Allow it to cool completely. You can also keep in refrigerator for a few minutes.
- Then use a cotton ball to apply it on the affected area.
- Keep repeating the process as required.
6.) Raw Potato to Treat a Burn
You can also go for a raw potato and cure burn fast. It is great at providing you relief from the inflammation and burning sensations. It is also contains anti-irritating and soothing properties that help a lot in treating burn. Benefit of applying raw potato is that reduces the risk of blisters occurrence. You can use it in different ways.
Cut a raw potato into thick slices and rub it on the affected area. Apply the juice properly on the burn nicely.
Alternatively, grate a potato and extract juice from it and apply the juice on the affected area. Or, you can also make a paste and apply on the affected area. Leave it for fifteen minutes and then wash off.
7.) Honey to Treat a Burn
You can also go for honey in order to treat burn fast and naturally. It is high in anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties that provide soothing properties. This is the best remedy to prevent infection from spreading. Disinfectant properties make it one of the most awesome remedies for burn treatment. You are advised to go for raw honey. It has more effects. Also, it prevents hypertrophic scars. The simplest way is to apply raw honey on the affected area. Leave it covered for some time. Keep repeating the process at regular intervals and you will be able to cure burn fast.
8.) Coconut Oil to Treat a Burn
Try this remedy is you are looking for something to get rid of minor burns and sunburn. You can also go for coconut oil in order to cure these types of burns. This is one of the most effective home remedies for burn treatment. It is high in properties that speed up the healing process of burn. It contains lauric acid and caprylic acid that work great at treating burn fast and naturally. Also, lemon is high in acidic properties that work amazingly with coconut properties and treat burn fast. But the ingredients fade away the scars as well.
- Take some coconut oil in a bowl and add some lemon juice to it.
- Mix it well and apply on the affected area.
9.) Vinegar to Treat a Burn
It is also one of the best home remedies for burn treatment. Vinegar is high in properties that provide you fast relief from burns. It contains astringent and antiseptic properties that help you cure burn fast and naturally. This remedy is amazing for minor burns treatment. It also prevents infection. It is acidic in nature and thus you should not apply it directly. Follow the given steps to use it:
- Dilute some vinegar in water and use a cotton ball to apply on the affected area.
- Keep repeating the process at every two hours.
10.) Onion to Treat a Burn
You can also go for onion juice in order to cure burn. It is high in compound known as quercetin and sulfur. These two ingredients work great at treating burns. It reduces pain and inflammation and also speed up the healing process. It has medicinal properties that cure burns. What you have to do is:
- Grate some onion and extract juice from it.
- Apply the juice on the affected area several times a day.
11.) Lavender Oil to Treat a Burn
You can also go for lavender oil for burn treatment. It is high in antiseptic properties that provide relief from the problem. Lavender has soothing effects on the area and prevents infection as well. It is a natural pain killer and thus relieves you from pain. All these properties possessed by lavender oil make it one among the best home remedies for burn treatment. What you have to do is apply some diluted lavender oil on the affected area and leave for some time. Keep repeating the process for several times a day and you will see the difference. There is another way that you can use it:
- In a bowl, take two tablespoons of honey and a few drops of lavender essential oil.
- Mix it well and apply on the affected area.
- Keep repeating it several times a day for best results.
12.) Plantain Leaves to Treat a Burn
This is another effective remedy that you can try for burns. Being high in anti-inflammatory properties, this remedy does a lot in healing burns. Also, it is high in antibacterial properties that stimulate and speed up the healing process. The best part about these leaves is that they have soothing effect on the affected area and thus heal it fast. You can use it by following the given ways:
- Make a paste using some fresh plantain leaves and apply on the affected area.
- Leave for some time and then wash the area cold water.
- Applying on the affected area will provide you positive results for sure.
These are the ways that you can go for in order to heal burns fast and naturally. These remedies are great for minor burns. You can use them to treat fist degree burn without any hesitation. But when it comes at treating second degree burns, you should pay special attention to it. These remedies can help with second degree burn as well, but when you do not see improvement, consult a doctor.
- Avoid using the ice directly. It can block the blood vessels.
- Do not apply eggs, as it is often suggested.
- Do not break the blisters. When blisters burst, they leave fluid and it might spread infection.
- Avoid covering the area. Keeping the area covered can increase the chances of spreading infection.