Hiccups are bothersome. We try all sort of creative and unusual ideas to get rid of them fast. They are unpleasant and unwelcome sort of the thing that lets you end with loads of treatments and abundant remedies on the internet to get rid of hiccups fast.
After all this, you start to wonder how to stop hiccups. But before we move onto the solutions for hiccups, let’s explore what are hiccups and what causes hiccups.
You will be astonished to know that diaphragm is the main culprit in your body. The diaphragm is a dome-shaped muscle partition that plays a major role while breathing.
It helps breathe you day and night, pulling down and drawing air into your lungs. Most of the time it goes unnoticed and you only notices when it gets struck with cases like hiccups, sore throat, strep throat, hoarseness and cough like infections.
The main reason behind hiccups is when your diaphragm gets irritated, it jerks down, resulting in a sudden drawing of air into your throat. This sudden rush of air sound leads to closed vocal chords, causing a hiccup sound.
There are N number of things that disturbs the diaphragm that includes carbonated beverages, eating or drinking too fast or laughing too hard can also cause hiccups.
Check Out Some Cool Facts About Hiccups:
Usually, hiccups last for few days and weeks but have you ever heard that a hiccup can last for years? Yes, it happened several times. An American man named as Charles Osborne earned him a place in Guinness Book of World Records for hiccupping 72 years i.e. 1920 to 1992.
The above man was not the only one who achieved a World Record. There was this strange case happened when a man Christopher Sands had the hiccups for up to three years. Then eventually doctors found that Christopher had built up a tumour in the part of the brain that is responsible for muscle activity. Christopher was then completely diagnosed and had put an end to hiccups.
So now, that you are also suffering hiccups, have you thought how to put an end to it?
Let’s Explore Some Fun Exercises to Get Rid of Hiccups:
The Mayo Clinic states hiccups as a “common disorder that affects nearly everyone”. We all have experienced hiccups at some point in time. So try these funny ideas to stop your hiccups? Try the given below few interesting and creative ideas that can help you relieve hiccups.
- Drink a glass of water – This won’t hurt you.
- Tip your head upside down – Try new perspective towards things.
- Tip your head upside down and drink a glass of water – Try the both worlds.
- Hold your breath – Not permanently.
- Hold your breath and tip your head upside down – Side Effect: laughing spasms from your family members.
- Eat a spoonful of sugar – Good for making the medicine go down.
- Plug your ears – Do not implement this remedy in public, you may invite unwanted stares from those around you.
- Stick your tongue out – Try this in public.
- Get scared – Ask the younger members of your family for this task. I’m sure they will be happy to help you.
- Spin in circles – Look for breakable objects.
- Pull on your tongue – Also try this in public, if you really want it to be effective.
- Suck on a lemon – Don’t count on it.
- Chew gum – Even if, it doesn’t cure your hiccups, your breath will be awesome.
- Gargle water – Try gargling A to Z.
- Place an ice bag on your chest – Give it a go.
- Blow air out slowly – Do this about 5-10 times.
- Plug your ears and drink through a straw – Stop bubble blowing.
- Eat peppermint – Actually, chew gum wasn’t enough.
- Drink something hot – Tea time!
- Eat a spoon full of honey – Try consuming honey first then drink your tea.
- Down a shot of pickle juice – Don’t faint your heart.
- Drink salty water – Do this near a sink.
- Eat a spoonful of peanut butter – Taste it to your dog, then observe the reaction.
- Drink water through a napkin – It’s the new and enhanced water filtration system.
- Breathe into your sleeve – Air purification system!
- Jump up and down – Do this at least 10 times, jiggle those hiccups out.
- Do a handstand – Try this against a wall.
- Eat a teaspoon of mustard – Also not for the weak heart.
- Splash your face with water – Take chilled water.
- Squeeze your nose while you drink water – Also keep things handy that don’t taste good.
- Pinch the back of your shoulder.
- Burp or sneeze – You can do this.
- Do the math in your head- 1+1=2+2=4+4=8.
- Try to cough – Keep a hanky handy.
- Eat yoghurt – This can cure hiccups and it’s a healthy snack too.
- Suck on ice cubes – This also helps get rid of upset stomach.
- Plug your ears and drink water at the same time – Wishes with this manoeuvre.
- Freeze a spoon for about 5 minutes and hold the spoon on your temple -Just make sure it doesn’t stick to your head.
- Start drinking from a glass and rotate the glass all the way around from the place you started at – Bottoms up!
Now, even after trying all the above methods fails to stop hiccups then don’t get demotivated, we bring you some more effective and natural methods to get rid of hiccups naturally.
Home Remedies to Get Rid of Hiccups
1.) Cold Water to Treat Hiccups
You can surprise your body with cold water to stop hiccups. Any kind of shock will result in distraction and will help put an end to your hiccups.
- Instantly, drink a glass of chilled water with honey.
- You will observe your hiccups will run away immediately.
- You can also try gargling with cold water for a few minutes to keep hiccups at bay.
- Alternatively, you can suck on a small piece of ice cube for a few seconds.
2.) Drink Upside Down to Get Rid of Hiccups Fast
This remedy is just like the above, but you can make it more effective by drinking water upside down. This will help shock your body and stop hiccups.
- Take a glass with cold water.
- Move downwards at the waist and put your head down.
- Drink this cold water from the other side of the glass than you would normally do.
- If required, repeat this method again.
3.) Hold Your Breath to Cure Hiccups
This is an ancient remedy to treat hiccups fast. It helps pushes the amount of carbon dioxide in the blood flow, which diverts the mind and stops the cycle of hiccups. To try this remedy, follow the steps given below:
- Take a deep breath and hold it. Just like you do a breathing exercise.
- Hold your breath as long as you can without letting any air out.
- Exhale breath gently in a controlled manner.
- Inhale and exhale your breath again.
- Do this process several times until the hiccups stop.
4.) Sugar to Treat Hiccups
Sugar is another one of the best home remedies to get rid of hiccups, particularly for small children and infants. Swallowing sugar helps encourages the vagus nerve and makes your body forget about the hiccups.
- Take 1 teaspoon of white or brown sugar.
- Hold the sugar in your mouth for few minutes until it dissolves slowly.
- Do not chew sugar own your own and let it dissolve.
- Now, take a sip of water and you will realise that your hiccups stop.
- Adults can also try this remedy, but people who have diabetes must avoid it.
5.) Vinegar to Get Rid of Hiccups
Vinegar is another popular remedy to cure hiccups. I know it doesn’t taste good, but all things that taste bad are sometimes effective to treat many problems. The sour taste of vinegar will help distract your mind, which helps soothe the hiccups. White vinegar, apple cider vinegar or malt vinegar will do the trick.
- Consume 1/2 teaspoon of vinegar, with a glass of water.
- Another method is to mix 1 tablespoon of vinegar with some water. Consume it slowly and this will help you get rid of hiccups.
6.) Peanut Butter to Cure Hiccups
This is another one of the best remedies to keep hiccups at bay with peanut butter. The sticky, gooey consistency of peanut butter disturbs the breathing cycle when you try to consume it and this helps relieve nonstop hiccups.
- Take 1 teaspoon of peanut butter and put it in your mouth.
- Hold this butter for a few seconds and then swallow it without munching.
- If needed, drink a glass of water.
- If peanut butter is not accessible, you can try almond butter also.
7.) Breathe into a Paper Bag to Stop Hiccups
Another tried and tested trick that may stop hiccups. Breathing into a paper bag increases the amount of carbon dioxide in the body, that contracts diaphragm extremely to bring in more oxygen. This process will help you stop the hiccups.
- Take a small paper bag around your mouth and hold it tightly.
- Breathe slowly and deeply into this bag.
- Repeat this 2-3 times, while keeping the paper bag in place.
Note: This remedy is not recommended for weak hearts patients. Moreover, it is important to follow this method at your comfort level.
8.) Lemon to Cure Hiccups
Lemon is another effective way to stop hiccups naturally. The sour taste of lemon beats the irritated nerves, thus disappear in no time.
- Take a lemon and squeeze half of lemon in a spoon.
- Consume this lemon juice without mixing water.
- This will help you stop hiccups immediately.
- Alternatively, squeeze one lemon in half a glass of water. Mix it thoroughly.
- Drink this solution quickly to stop hiccups.
- You can also, suck on a piece of lemon with a pinch of salt. Then this lemon slowly to cure hiccups fast.
9.) Cardamom to Treat Hiccups
Cardamom is also a great remedy for hiccups. It has muscle-soothing properties and hence can stop hiccups.
- Mix 1 tablespoon of cardamom powder in a glass of hot water.
- Set it apart for 15-20 minutes and then strain it.
- Drink this solution slowly.
10.) Chamomile to Treat Hiccups Naturally
Chamomile is not only efficient for hiccups but useful for different health problems too. The anti-oxidant properties of chamomile tea will help soothe your muscles and treat hiccups fast.
- Soak 1 teaspoon of dried chamomile herb in a cup of warm water for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Drink this concoction slowly and your hiccups will stop soon.
- Another method is to put 1-2 drops of chamomile essential oil in a small brown paper bag.
- Hold the bag tightly and breath slowly through the mouth until hiccups vanishes.
11.) Rub Your Palm to Cure Hiccups
The study says that friction also works best to get rid of hiccups fast. So rubbing your hands together for few minutes may help treat hiccups soon. You can try this remedy outside also. Try this remedy until you see some positive results.
12.) Insert Your Finger into Your Ears
Closing your ears with the both of your fingers forcefully can also help you to cure Hiccups. Simply put your finger in the ears and hold it for 2-3 minutes in the same position.
13.) Avoid Carbonated Soda or Beer to Cure Hiccups
To cure hiccups avoid drinking beer, alcohol and carbonated drinks that can worsen your condition. Instead of these drinks, you can consume chamomile tea, green tea, or lemon juice to get rid of hiccups fast.
14.) Look Straight Upward to Treat Hiccups
This is another tried and tested method to cure hiccups. All you have to do is keep your neck straight and watch upward in the sky or roof of your room for few minutes. This method will distract your diaphragm resulting in the ease with hiccups. So don’t forget to give it a try to this method to stop hiccups anymore.
15.) Lie on the Bed to Get Rid of Hiccups
Simply sleep straight on the bed and taking deep breaths will help you feel relax and soothe the muscle contraction. Lying straight will help relax your body movement that will clear the vagus nerve. Or you can try singing loud to distract your mind to cure hiccups fast.
16.) Stretch the Tongue to Stop Hiccups
Yes, this can give a quick relief from this problem. You can easily get rid of hiccups. It basically helps to clear the hinder caused by the presence of material to the nerves.
17.) Tickle Roof of Your Mouth
It may sound bizarre, but this is doctor recommended treatment. It help stimulates the vagus nerve, which will calm diaphragm spasms and get rid of hiccups quickly. It is advised to use a cotton-tipped applicator or a Q-tip to tickle or massage on the roof of your mouth. Pull out your tongue for 2-3 minutes this will also stimulate the vagus nerve.
18.) Meet the Doctor to Cure Hiccups
If you hear this “Hic” sound very often like continuous for few days or weeks, then consulting with your doctor will be the best option. If you don’t want to become another “Charles Osborne” then meet your doctor before it may lead to some serious problem. Never take medicine on your own and do consult the doctor because the doctor will only guide you the best medications.
Further Tips to Get Rid of Hiccups:
- Do not wear skintight clothes around your chest as it would not let the problem get a fix. Wear loose clothes.
- Limit the intake of items like sugar, butter, salt.
- Do not be very relaxed with hiccups, if it continuous, it can cause extensive damage to the body.
- Do not just try everything, instead take a doctor or parental guidance when curing hiccups.
- Avoid eating fatty food items during the hiccups. It can cause vomiting also.