Are you all set to go on a picnic? We love to take a blanket and a basket full of food and fruits. Going ahead out to our favourite picnic destination next to the lake. There’s always one problem, of course, the uninvited visitors. Yes, we are talking about Ants. I know you all there, wants to get rid of ants desperately.
House ants can get into your food and can damage house property or can result in stinging bites. These small creatures can also cause damage your plants.
Dealing with ants can be very infuriating. We use various pesticides for ants that contain chemical and dangerous to human health and the environment, but there are some natural and safe ways to control ants. These remedies may take some time and tolerance but will provide you good results.
How Can You Identify Ants?
When you start dealing with ants in your house, the investigation is a primary thing to get rid of ants fast. But there is actually much more than this. Finding the most powerful treatment for ants depends on the particular type you have invading your house. Each variety has different behaviours, choice of food, and remedies that will be useful in keeping them out of your home.
Some ants are area specific, so why not to be an expertise in dealing with certain types. In this article, we will cover all natural and home remedies for odorous ants and carpenter ants.
Home Remedies to Get Rid of Ants
1.) Cinnamon to Kil Ants
Cinnamon is an active household ant repellent. Ants hate the smell of cinnamon thus that prevent ants entering your house and borrowing from your kitchen. According to a study, cinnamon essential oil also shows positive results in both as a repellent and great for insecticidal activity. To try this method, follow the steps given below:
- Take 1 teaspoon of cinnamon essential oil and 1/4th cup of water.
- Now, with the help of cotton ball dipped into this solution, wipe all the area where you think ants may enter or dwell.
- Repeat this method, 2-3 times a day untill you see some positive results.
- Alternatively, you can also put some ground cinnamon and whole 2-3 cloves near entry points to restrict ants entering your kitchen or house.
Note: Use the cinnamon oil spray in places of ant infestation and do not put it all over the place.
2.) Lemon to Get Rid of Ants
Lemon is another effective home remedy to get rid of ants naturally. The acidic properties of lemon help keep ants ta bay. To make your house ant proof, then use lemon to deter their entry in your house. Not only this lemon scent doesn’t fascinate ants. To try this method, follow the steps given below.
- Take one lemon and cut it into pieces.Rub some lemon juice on door thresholds, windowsills and other possible areas where ants are getting in.
- Rub each piece on the doors, windowsills and other possible areas where ants infestation. Rub some lemon juice on door thresholds, windowsills and other possible areas where ants are getting in.
- Another method is to apply lemon essential oil with the help of a cotton ball and leave it in drawers or cabinets.
- You can also spread small slices of lemon peel around the outdoor entry.
- Use the above remedies for a few days until the ants are completely finished.
3.) White Vinegar to Prevent Ants
White vinegar also works great to prevent ants on your premises. They cannot stand the strong smell of vinegar. Moreover, the gallic acid smell in white vinegar masks their scent tracks, making them lose their direction. Try the following method to prevent ants naturally.
- Take 1/2 teaspoon of vinegar and water to make a solution.
- Pour this solution into a spray bottle.
- You can also add a few drops of any essential oil to the bottle.and shake the bottle thoroughly.
- Shake the bottle thoroughly.
- Spray this liquid around baseboards and other entrances.
- Wipe out the areas with the damp paper towel after an hour.
- Repeat this process daily until you see no ants.
- You can try cleaning your floors, windowsills and kitchen countertops to prevent ants from lagging over these surfaces.
4.) Peppermint to Get Rid of Ants Fast
Peppermint is famous for its anti-microbial and medicinal properties that help treat several health issues. Here, it is known as life saviour as it acts as a natural insect repulsive ingredient that can efficiently keep ants away. Ants hate its powerful smell, which also obstructs their smelling abilities so that they won’t get exposed to food sources. Try this method for effective and permanent results.
- Take 4-5 drops of peppermint essential oil and mix it with 1 cup of water.Spray the solution on all areas where ants are present. Repeat twice daily, until the ants are gone completely.
- Put this solution in a spray solution and mix it well.Spray the solution on all areas where ants are present. Repeat twice daily, until the ants are gone completely.
- Spray this solution on all areas where ants may present.
- Repeat this method 2-3 times daily, until you see some positive results.
- You can also try sprinkling some dried peppermint near your doors, entrances and trash areas to repel ants.
- You can even produce peppermint plants in your kitchen garden.
5.) Borax to Kill Ants
Borax helps kill odorous house ants effectively. Basically, borax is poisonous to ants and helps rid them from your home and garden. Borax mixed with something sweet will attract ants that ultimately will be digested by ants resulting them died. Try the following steps to follow this method.
- Take 1/2 teaspoon of both borax and food jelly or you can mix some sugar.Put it on a flat plate in the areas where you have ants.
- Put this solution on a flat plate and keep it in the areas where you find ants.
- Another method is to mix borax with sugar in a 2:3 ratio.
- Add water to get a liquid consistency like a syrup or paste.
- Put this paste in the areas where you find ants.
- Alternatively, Make a paste mixing equal amount of borax, cornmeal and 2-3 drops of water.
- Spread the paste in areas where you find ant infestation.
Note: As borax is poisonous, keep it away from your children and pets.
6.) Diatomaceous Earth to Kill Ants
Diatomaceous Earth is one of the effective solutions to kill insects like fleas, ants and bed bugs. Food-grade diatomaceous earth (DE) works well as an ant odious. It is made up of fossilised remains of marine phytoplankton. The tiny razor sharp edges of DE can cut through the ant’s body, slowly causing their body to dry out. Try this another one of the best remedies to kill ants.
- Take some DE powder and sprinkle a thin layer on windowsills, under the fridge, beneath cabinets, in and around trash cans and any other places where you observe ants.
- Repeat this method daily until all the ants are vanished.
Note: Do not moisten the DE or it will not work.
7.) Liquid Dish Soap to Get Rid of Ants
Dish soap also works as an active ant repellent. It can help choke the ants, causing them to die. You can try this tip with cockroaches, bed bugs and fruit fleas too. Try the following steps given below.
- Take 1 teaspoon of liquid dish soap and baking soda mixed with a cup of water.Spread this solution along areas where ants are coming in.
- Spray this solution around ant infestation area.
- Another method is to fill a spray bottle with one part dish soap and another two parts with water, then shake this bottle well. Spray the solution over the areas where ants are observed. After a few hours, wipe out the dead ants with a damp cloth.
8.) Cucumber Peel to Get Rid of Ants
This is another tried and tested method to get rid of ants fast. Ants have a natural allergy to cucumber, as they cannot endure its taste. Sour cucumbers work best, but you can also use normal cucumbers, too. Try the following steps to prevent ants at home with this simple home remedy you can find in your kitchen.
- Take one cucumber and peel it.
- Cut this cucumber into small pieces.Place pieces of the peel in all areas where you have seen ant activity.
- Place these pieces wherever you find ants activity.
- Replace cucumber everyday with fresh peels.
- Repeat this method when needed until the ants are gone.
9.) Keep Your House Clean
To stop ants from entering your house, you should take extra care of your house and kitchen to keep it clean. Do your best to keep your floors, cabinets and countertops clean and free of disorder. Keep food containers sealed tightly, particularly, those sugar containers, syrup, honey, and other foods that can attract ants.
- Clean up food right away, particularly fruit juice or sugary drinks.
- Make sure you properly cover your food that you have left out on the kitchen shelf. You can even keep bowls of food in plates containing some water to prevent ants from reaching the food.
- Clean wooden surfaces and windowsills daily.
- Never leave unwashed dishes in the sink.
- Do not allow moisture to grow on kitchen counters and other surfaces.
- Make sure your trash cans are tightly sealed.
- Look for little cracks and crevices around windows, doors and seal them all with petroleum jelly or caulk any over-the-counter sealants.
10.) Cayenne Pepper to Kil Ants
Cayenne pepper also works as a powerful ant repellent. The powerful properties of cayenne pepper suppress the chemical signs that ants rely on to travel toward food, their nest and other places. Without a proper signal, ants will not able to sustain and will thus they will look for new places to go.
- Take some cayenne pepper powder and sprinkle in the areas where you find ants most.
- You can also add equal amounts of cayenne pepper and turmeric powder and mix them well.
- Now, sprinkle that around the entry points of ants.
11.) Ant Balls to Prevent Ants
If you find spraying a solution of essential oil and water fails, then try the ant balls. These cotton balls work as an extra bar to keep the ants away from your home, while the undiluted essential oil will drive the ants clear at least 90% of the time. Make sure you do not to leave these balls, where your curious pet or child would find them as an interesting snack. If you don’t have essential oil then you can also try white vinegar in a pinch.
- Take some cotton balls and soak them in undiluted peppermint essential oil.
- Put the oil in a dish so that you don’t drip it all over your fingers.
- You can also soak these ball in undiluted white vinegar.
- Just squeeze the extra liquid so that it doesn’t spill where you place it.
- Use one of these cotton balls to wipe the area around the entrance, and windowsills.
- Also, put some into the cracks and holes with a visible opening that they are cheating in through.
- Replace these cotton balls when needed.
12.) Draw The Line to Get Rid of Ants
Have you ever observed ants in the summer, the way they and sidewalk chalk never mixes? That’s because they never meant to do so. Ants that fall through chalk get covered in the chalk powder, while some people recommend minerals in the chalk (such as talc) actually helps kill the ants. All you have to do is draw a thick and heavy line around the entrances, cracks and crevices to avoid their entry. Draw line as per your requirement. This method is somewhat tried and tested by many women to get rid of ants fast.
Some Interesting Facts About Ants:
- The total mass of all the ants in the world is the equal as, if not larger than that of all humans.
- Some ants can carry up to 100x their own weight upside down on a glass.
- The largest ant colony was found over 6000 Km or 3750 miles wide.
- Ants are the longest living insects that can live upto 30 years.
- One ant variety owns the record for the fastest journey within the animal kingdom.
- There are over 12,000, known distinctive species of ants.
- The ant is one of the worlds’ strongest species in relation to its size.
- One ant species is the most poisonous insect in the world.
- Dozens of colonies of smallest ant can live in the brain case of the world’s largest ant.
- Ants move an approximated 50 tons of soil every year in one square mile.
- Fire ants cause value $5 billion worth of damage in North America per year.
- All soldier, worker and queen ants are female.
- Some ant varieties are asexual, they clone themselves and do not need any males.
- Ants and humans are the only beings that farm other creatures.
- Ants have two stomachs, one to keep food for themselves, and one for others.
- Some ant species make worker out of another ant species.
- Ants can be found on every continent except Antarctica.
- Some ants can float.
- Most ants can last around 24 hours underwater.
- Few ants have no eyes.
- Some wingless ants can achieve a controlled glide when free falling.
- Ants sleep very often and are often quite lethargic.
- In many parts of the world, ants are eaten by human beings as a food.
- Ants worst enemies are not humans, but other ants.